Young Researchers’ Challenge 2018 – Apply now and take the chance to network and present your research!
The Marcus Wallenberg Foundation invites to a Young Researchers’ Challenge with the chance to win a spot at the Prize ceremony and banquet in honour of the 2018 Marcus Wallenberg Prize Winner. This will be held in Stockholm on 24 September.
Along with a unique opportunity to present your research to leading scientists and representatives of the forest-based industry from all over the world, you will also be given extensive opportunities to network with your fellow young researchers active in the areas of interest to the forest-based sector. The whole program will range from 23 to 26 September, see below.
This year’s Marcus Wallenberg Prize recognizes achievements in the field of tree nutrition, see press release. As the challenges for the forest-based sector grow, the understanding of the structure and function of trees and forest ecosystems is essential. The development of innovative, value-added products and technologies based on renewable raw materials is more and more recognized as part of the solution to counteract climate change. For that, your contribution is essential.
Briefly describe your research and why you think it will have an impact on the forest-based industry and society as a whole. Present your vision for the development you want to promote with your research and how current obstacles can be overcome. You are free to discuss opportunities in a wide range of research and business areas in the sector.
We invite researchers no older than 35 years, post docs or PhD students to participate. Apply now through our form mwp.org/yrc2018. Your contribution should not exceed 200 words and must be submitted not later than 25 June 2018.
After evaluation, some 30 contributions will be selected to be invited to the 2018 MWP Prize Ceremony and extended program (see below). We then welcome all winning participants to submit a short abstract on the research project to be presented in a poster session.
Chance to win (at the expense of the Foundation):
- Starting early afternoon on 23 September the program includes lectures and guided visits in the Stockholm area on 23 and 26 September, with the opportunity to network with fellow scientists, including overview presentations by members of the MWP Selection Committee and others.
- On 24 September, you will be given the opportunity to present your research in a “3 Minute Presentation” session to your fellow young researchers and the MWP Selection Committee members who will moderate the session and act as jury.
- Ceremony & Banquet to be held in the evening of 24 September in the presence of Their Majesties the King and Queen of Sweden.
- Symposium to be held on 25 September on the theme of this year’s Prize.
- A short poster session in connection with the Symposium where you will have the opportunity to present and discuss your research with leading scientists and industry representatives.
- After the symposium, you will have the opportunity to interact with this year’s prize winner.
Who covers the costs for travel and accommodation?
Applicants need to cover their own costs for travel to Stockholm and accommodation in connection to the event. For applicants from Swedish organizations the MW Foundation has managed to find financing from separate sources. International applicants are encouraged to apply for funding from their own Universities or other financiers.